Pastor David W. Schweppe
David W. Schweppe, MDiv
PO Box 1064, Sterling, Illinois 61081
Cell Phone: 3090-299-2790 Email: [email protected]
1989 Masters of Divinity Lutheran School of Theology, Chicago, IL
1984 Bachelor of Arts, Geology Knox College, Galesburg, IL
2016 - Present
Intentional Interim Pastor
Immanuel Lutheran Church, Dixon, IL
2012 – 2016
Adjunct Professor of Ethics
Black Hawk College – East Campus, Galva, IL
2010 – 2016
Zion Lutheran Church, Kewanee, IL
2010 – Present
14th and 15th Judicial Circuits, State of Illinois
2009 – 2010
Pulpit Supply Pastor
Northern Illinois Synod, ELCA
2008 – 2010
Health Educator, Mediator
Whiteside County Health Dept., Rock Falls, IL
1996 – 2008
Messiah Lutheran Church, Aledo, IL
1992 - 1996
St. John Lutheran Church, Elizabeth, IL
1989 - 1991
Sherman Lutheran Parish, Garrison, SD
* Helped facilitate the planning and completion of a $1.5 million renovation after a fire at Zion Lutheran Church in 2012-2013.
* Helped facilitate the planning and completion of a $40,000 renovation at Messiah Lutheran Church in 1998 (loan paid off in less than two years)
* Developed various policies with church council members; facilitated constitution and bylaw revisions.
Pastoral Care and Leadership
* Pastor of four parishes since 1989.
* Assisted schools after suicide tragedies in Aledo and later at Wethersfield High School, Kewanee.
* Led current congregation through recovery from church fire offering spiritual and administrative leadership between 2012-2013.
* Via de Cristo Weekend Retreat Spiritual Director (various weekends from 1998 – present).
* Increased attendance of a junior college ethics class from mid-twenties to between 45-60 between 2012 and 2016.
* Developed numerous classes and workshops for parishioners and the community.
* Brought science fun to grade school students as “The Science Guy.”
* Provided court mandated classes for parents of divorce with children.
Public Speaker and Writer
* Prepared and presented over 2000 sermons and public addresses.
* Published over 150 newspaper and newsletter articles.
* Ability to speak to an audience and hold a discussion with or without notes.
* Currently publishing my latest writings online at www.davidschweppe.com .
Social Justice Advocate
* On the organization board of Freedom House’s Voices Against Violence Coalition, 2016.
* On the organization board for LOMC’s Family Camp for autism spectrum families, 2015.
* Mission trip to El Salvador through Habitat for Humanity, 2013.
* Provided congregational education and advocacy to church members conflicted over the ELCA sexuality statement, 2009-2010.
Certifications and Learning Experiences
2017 NALIP Intentional Interim Pastor Training (Luther Seminary)
2016 Resilient Leadership Coach Training (in August)
2015 Boundaries Workshop (NI Synod)
2012 Sleep Deprivation, Autism, & ADHD seminar
2012 Accepted into Luther Seminary Doctor of Ministry Program
2011 Clergy Clinic in Family Emotional Process (LMPC)
2010 Boundaries Workshop (NI Synod)
2010 Class: Human Behavior and the Social Environment (U of Iowa)
2010 Autism-Asperger’s Syndrome Conference (Future Horizons) Dixon, IL
2009 Class: Substance Use and Abuse (U of Iowa)
2009 Mediation Skills Training - Certification (Northwestern University)
2009 Divorce Mediation Training - Certification (Northwestern University)
2009 Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) Sterling, IL
2009 Mediation Skills Training Institute (LMPC) Lombard, IL
2008 Autism-Asperger's Syndrome Conference (Future Horizons) Dixon, IL
2007 A Strength-Based Approach to AS, NVLD,& HFA (HealthEd) Moline, IL
2006 Understanding Individuals with AS or HFA (Lorman) Rockford, IL
2016 - 2017 Board Member, Voices Against Violence Coalition (VAVC)
2014 – 2015 Board Member, Kewanee Community Drug & Alcohol Task Force
2013 – present Volunteer Storm Spotter, City of Kewanee, IL ESDA
2010 – present Kewanee Ministerial President (2013-2015), Vice Pres. (2011- 2013)
2008 – present Parent Advocate Galva, Kewanee, Sterling School Districts
2005 – 2007 Co-developer, Board Member, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Aledo, IL
2004 – 2008 Member, Rotary Club of Aledo,IL
1996 – 2008 Board Member, United Appeal Fund of Mercer County